Piles, which is also known as haemorrhoids is a very common condition suffered by the 75% of population, at least once in their lifetime. It is very common among people in the 45-65 age groups.
In medical terms, piles can be defined as ‘disrupted and dilated anal cushions’. There is a maze of small arteries (vascular structure) loosely held by smooth and elastic muscles which form the cushion around the anal canal, These small arteries are prone to inflammation, displacement and disruption (often due to pressure during defecation). In a simple language, haemorrhoids are dilatation of vascular structure around anal canal.
There are two types of haemorrhoids. External haemorrhoids are the piles which develop around the outside of anus and the internal haemorrhoids which develops inside the lower rectum (which one cannot see them unless they protrude out).
Symptoms of haemorrhoids:
- Itching around the anus especially in cases of external piles.
- mucous discharges from anus
- Pain, blood clot can form in an external haemorrhoid and this may results in severe pain and swelling.
- Painless anal bleeding, both external and internal haemorrhoids are often associated with painless rectal bleeding. Bright red blood may be found on the toilet paper or in the toilet bowl after having normal bowel movement.
Causes of haemorrhoids:
- Chronic Constipation with prolonged straining is a key factor.
- Prolonged sitting and straining during bowel movement can develop piles.
- Sedentary life style, lack of physical exercise and constant sitting may lead to constipation.
- Obesity is also common cause of piles.
- Pregnancy, piles during pregnancy is common phenomenon, as fetal growth in womb exerts the pressure on rectal arteries. It is more common in last three months of pregnancy and immediately after delivery.
- Lack of fiber in a diet.
- Piles due to pelvic tumor, portal hypertension are seen in rare cases.
Prevention and precaution:
- Drink plenty of water (at least 3 litter in whole day) to avoid hard stool.
- Avoid spicy food, especially during pain.
- Have fiber rich diet, like apple, banana, figs, carrot, broccoli, spinach are rich source of fiber.
- Daily exercise like walking is essential, especially for those who have sedentary life style.
- Keep the affected area clean to prevent further infection.
Here, I am presenting few homeopathic remedies which have shown very efficient results in cases of haemorrhoid (piles)
Acid Nitricum: this drug has shown wonderful curative effect in many cases of haemorrhoids. I know the case where instance pain was relive within half an hour after administration of single dose. it acts best when following symptoms are present. There is a symptoms like feeling of constant pressure in rectum. Haemorrhoids are painful or painless. There is constant pressing out and protruding of piles during defecation with loss of blood.
Hamamelis virginica: Hamamelis is another wonderful remedy for haemorrhoids, especially bleeding piles. This remedy covers the symptoms such as haemorrhoids bleeding profusely with sourness, heaviness, pulsation in rectum. Constant urging for defecation without being accomplishes it. Even a small quantity of blood loss [few drops] due to piles is followed by great debility.
Ratanhia: Ratanhia is another frequently used remedy to treat the haemorrhoids, especially when following symptoms are well covered by case. There are symptoms like burning and pricking pain in anus even for hour after stool, as if there are pieces of broken glass in anus. There is itching around anus. Stool is forced out by great straining.
As I have already mentioned in my previous blog posts, homeopathy treats the patient as a whole. Hence whenever there is a chronic case of haemorrhoid where piles develops even after surgery (haemorrhoidectomy), detail homeopathic interview (which includes medical history, personal and past history, temperament etc) and administration of constitutional treatment is required to break the haemorrhoidal tendency by safest way.
This blog is not aimed at advocating self-medication, medicine should not be use without professional help. For more information and queries, mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also contact me at following link: https://www.lybrate.com/chandrapur/doctor/dr-kalyani-zodey-homeopath